Saturday, December 5, 2009

חַנָּה (on the title)

The title "favored by god" means two things:
- I have a large ego.
- I am fascinated by etymological meanings.

"Favored by God" is what you get if you take my name Anne, track it down to its origins, (Channah, חַנָּה) and translate that into English. Yes, even common names have a meaning. Some are a little obscure and hard to find, like "Iran" or "London", but they are there, somewhere.

The goal of an etymologist is to wipe away the dust of time and search for the etymon, the ετυμον, the true thing, the core of the word. It is there, somewhere, hidden under all the transformations and connotations and all sorts of decay, waiting to be found, like the formation of the universe or the origins of civilization.

I guess that's also my philosophy in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment