Saturday, January 16, 2010

Let's Read Billy Budd

Darn, I was hoping I would be able to do my first Let's Read on the Scarlet Letter, but unfortunately I got the idea a little too late. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a little too long to do a Let's Read on, and the thing I'm supposed to be reading right now is Herman Melville's Billy Budd, so why not.

First off, what is a Let's Read? Kinda like those videos on youtube where people play games and do commentary on the game, except here I'm doing commentary by the chapter.

~*~

Now, on to BIlly Budd: The full title is Billy Budd, Foretopman. It is an obscure unfinished novel by Herman Melville, which I assume takes places after the French Revolution. A "final" version of the novel was published based on studies of Melville's writing process, but I'm reading the original rough, not that one.

Personally I think BIlly Budd is one of the most boring titles I've ever heard. Then again, since I also hate the title "The Wind that Shakes the Barley", I might just have something against the letter B.

No comments:

Post a Comment